Department of Meteorology and Hydrology, Myanmar
was known as Burma Meteorological Department,
at the time of its conception in 1937. The Department came to be known as the Department of Meteorology and Hydrology in 1974. Presently, DMH
is under the Myanmar Ministry of Transport.
In 1992, the Meteorological and Hydrological Department of Myanmar
was shifted to the Ministry of Communications, Posts and Telegraphs from the supervision of the Ministry of Transport and Communication. Eventually, DMH
was placed under the Myanmar Ministry of Transport
in 1999. The Department of Meteorology and Hydrology, Myanmar
has an Organizational Structure, headed by the Director General and followed by the Deputy Director General. The major divisions under the Department of Meteorology and Hydrology, Myanmar
- Aviation Meteorological Division
- Meteorological Division
- Agrometeorological Division
- Instrument and Communication Division
- Hydrological Division
- Seismological Division
- Administration, Budget and Account Division
- State Divisions
Department of Meteorology and Hydrology in Myanmar follows certain objectives, such as:
- Enhancing agriculture and production of food.
- Taking effective precautions to avoid and minimize the hazardous effects of natural disasters
- Providing support to all National Projects.
- Promoting protection, sustenance and conservation of the environment and natural resources.
- Assuring safe and efficient modes of transportation.
- Conducting research in the fields of meteorology, hydrology and seismology.
- Collaborating with international organizations and promote public awareness.
Department of Meteorology and Hydrology, Myanmar provides various services to different industries and sectors in Myanmar. Some services are enlisted below:
- Service in the fields of Meteorology and Hydrology for assisting shipping and Inland water transport.
- Hydrological Services.
- Meteorological Service to the Aviation industry.
- Seismological Services.
- Meteorological Service to the Agricultural Sector.
The Department of Meteorology and Hydrology, Myanmar also conducts some courses to provide training to interested university students. DMH offers Degree Courses in Meteorology and Hydrology, in collaboration with the Yangon and Dagon universities. The courses offered by the Department of Meteorology and Hydrology, Myanmar, relate to disciplines such as:
- Prevention of Natural Disasters.
- Marine Technology.
- Air Traffic Control.
- Military Meteorology.
- Defense Services